Lucy Liu shows DRC refugees that water is safe to drink

UNICEF Ambassador Lucy Liu shows residents of a camp for internally displaced people in the DR Congo that a UNICEF-supplied water source is safe for drinking.

For more information visit: unicefusa.org/drc
Donate now to support UNICEF’s work in the DRC: unicefusa.org/donate/drc

1. Martin Breskvar
    Posted June 19, 2007 at 9:02 am | Permalink

Hi!
    My name is Martin Breskvar(19) and I’ve been volunteer for UNICEF Slovenia for 3 years now-I currently chair National Board for Child and Youth Participation. When I recently surfed the websites of UNICEF National Committees I came also to this site and I must say that I was absolutely amazed. I love the idea of using blog, posting video clips from field visits and giving the chance to visitors to post comments. Congratulations and my sincere thank you to Lucy Liu and all the other Ambassadors who do care and promote UNICEF’s great work!
    Good luck and I’ll talk to you again soon;)!

Sincerely,
    Martin Breskvar

2. Melissa Petitto
    Posted June 20, 2007 at 7:36 pm | Permalink

Hi, I just saw Lucy speak on CNN and I was moved to tears. I think the work being done to help these women and children is tremendous and I am so thankful that UNICEF is out there helping Africa. As hard as it is to see the video clips, I think Americans need to be educated with the happenings in the Congo and other places. I just wanted to say thank you for making more people aware of this horrific time. Great work!

Melissa Petitto

3. Debbie Petitto
    Posted June 20, 2007 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

My husband and I have both spent time in Africa. He was in the Peace Corps in Ghana and I was in Liberia for graduate studies. we are always touched by all things and people African. Thank you so much for drawing attention to that continent’s dire needs. We have too long neglected its people. Please continue to keep this news in the forefront.Most people don’t realize how a disaster in one country in Africa affects all of its neighbors exponentially.
    Sincerely,
    Debbie and Charlie Petitto

4. Hallie Bowman
    Posted June 21, 2007 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I just saw Lucy Liu on the View sharing her experience in the DRC working with Unicef. I was overcome with emotion hearing her talk about the atrocities the people and especially the women face. I’m grateful for ambassadors like Lucy Liu who bring these stories to us, and for her strong emotion and conviction in helping those who need our help so desperately. We’ve been told often that we can make a difference. But to see someone so strongly passionate and committed to making that difference, I’ve finally taken the action to donate. And to educate myself. Thank you to Lucy Liu and to UNICEF for your tireless hard work.
    Sincerely,
    Hallie Bowman

5. Robben
    Posted June 21, 2007 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

I also today watched the view and was deeply moved by the images and statistics about DRC. I know there are many needs in Africa and I’m glad I now know of a honest NPO that I can donate to.

6. Adrienne Beaumont
    Posted June 21, 2007 at 9:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you for the wake up call. It is so important for all of us to be reminded of what our fellow humans experience in daily life. Lucy Liu, you are so brave and such an inspiration. You had the courage not only to educate yourself about these dire circumstances but also to actually put yourself in that environment, face-to-face with those living in such difficult conditions. Most of us tend to walk away from pain and suffering when given the chance, not walk towards it. Thank you for reminding me to reach out and forward to lend kindness to those in need.

Thank you UNICEF for raising my conscious!

7. Deane Beardsley
    Posted June 23, 2007 at 1:24 am | Permalink

What could anyone possibly say that would add to the wonderful work and good heart of Miss Lui. She and those whom she works with and for, deserve our support and prayers. I wish I could do more.

Thank You Miss Lui and those with you for doing the work we should all be doing.

8. Michael & Dolores Jackson
    Posted June 24, 2007 at 9:26 pm | Permalink

My husband and I are great fans of Lucy; however, we are never more proud of her passion and involvement to this cause. If only all the rich(er) people and great intertainment stars would be as involved in what is going on in Africa as well as our less fortunate right here at home.

9. Matt
    Posted June 25, 2007 at 11:04 am | Permalink

Got to love Youtube!

Thanks for the great post.

10. Ganga
    Posted June 26, 2007 at 4:27 am | Permalink

Hello,
    I am 21 year old from Bangalore working as a software professional. after checking the videos and deeply moved and would love to get into helping these people who are so much in need. every single step we take counts.

11. Debi Younce
    Posted June 28, 2007 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

I find myself very touched by this message from Lucy. It proves again that people with influnce can use their fame to reach out to a world that is tired of hearing about murder and sorrow all the time.
    She makes me feel like I can help even if it is not in a huge way I can also make a difference. I have always admired the work that Unicef does and now feel compelled to aid in any way I can. Good for you Miss Lui, good for you. Debi Younce
    Bellaire, Michigan

12. Debi Younce
    Posted June 28, 2007 at 9:34 pm | Permalink

Debi Younce
    Bellaire, Michigan

13. Ramesh
    Posted June 29, 2007 at 12:41 am | Permalink

These clips really speak abot the problems prevailing there, i appreciate Lucy’s contribution in the fields & these clips will definitely make people donate generously.

14. Dunstan Kalokola
    Posted June 29, 2007 at 6:06 am | Permalink

Iam Dunstan Kalokola.Iam ready to help these children and women who are in trouble.God help me participate in this movement.
    Thanks to Lucy who shows love to African women and children.

15. pranav
    Posted June 30, 2007 at 8:03 am | Permalink

That water is very nice. Come to India and see the water we drink.

16. E.Gopalakrishnan
    Posted June 30, 2007 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

It is a holistic work by LUCY. Safe drinking water to the affected is a great work. I can volunteer & am even ready for field work to create any process.

17. MR ZAYYANA AHMED
    Posted July 2, 2007 at 1:30 pm | Permalink

AM VERY MUCH IMPRESSED ABOUT THE GOOD WORKS OF AMBASSADOR LUCY IS DOING IN THE DEVELOPMENT OF AFRICA .I AM ALSO AN AFRICAN FROM KATSINA STATE IN NIGERIA. ME AND MY FAMILY TOGETHER WITH MY NEIGHBOURS ARE SUFFERING FROM LACK OF GOOD DRINKING WATER, SO PLEASE HELP US. THANKS, MR.ZAYYANA AHMED FROM NIGERIA

18. Leonid Walter Dunn
    Posted July 4, 2007 at 6:58 am | Permalink

I am happy for the work of UNICEF around the World in meeting the needs of the World-poor, particularly, women and children who are vulnerable in every abnormal situations; while upholding to the true dictates of the UNCRC. Truly, they continue to demonstrate the reason for which this UN specialized agency was established. Ambassador Lucy Liu is exceptionally extraordinary in the performance of her humanitarian leading the work of the UNICEF in extreme troubled spots worldwide. Liberia, my native land is a witnessed to the work of UNICEF. Hence with, I want to encourage more in furthering her mandate.

19. Lucky
    Posted July 5, 2007 at 3:06 am | Permalink

I agree with all of you, Miss Liu is doing a wonderful things for people who are in need. I was one of those kids once and I can’t wait to help and do everything I can to help those who are in the same place as I was.

20. tauseef