Kenya: children at risk, UNICEF in position

After four days of violence, as roads begin opening in Kenya and transport becomes possible, UNICEF is working with the Kenya Red Cross to send essential supplies to affected children. After four days of violence, as roads begin opening in Kenya and transport becomes possible, UNICEF is working with the Kenya Red Cross to send essential supplies to affected children.

1. Edith Han
    Posted February 2, 2008 at 5:48 pm | Permalink

For any person who is frustrated with the situation and wants to go to Kenya and help, is there anything else a college student can do other than donating money? Can somebody volunteer through UNICEF or any other organization on the ground in Kenya?

2. Annette Apitz, U.S. Fund for UNICEF
    Posted February 4, 2008 at 10:59 am | Permalink

Thank you, Edith, for you concern and your wish to do more. UNICEF and the U.S Fund for UNICEF do not deploy volunteers to the field, but we do work with the United Nations Volunteer Program. You can get more information about volunteering with the U.N. here: http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/index_volunteers.html However, as with many volunteer progams, you do need several years of work experience.
    Besides making a donation, there are lots of other ways to help UNICEF here at home. You could start a UNICEF campus initiative at your college to help raise awareness for UNICEF. Or you could volunteer for the Tap Project–a campaign we’re kicking off right now to bring clean water to children around the world. You can find out about all the different ways to volunteer for the U.S. Fund for UNICEF here: http://www.unicefusa.org/site/c.duLRI8O0H/b.25937/k.C882/Volunteer__US_Fund_for_UNICEF.htm
    Maybe you’ll see an opportunity there for you to help out.
    Annette Apitz
    U.S. Fund for UNICEF

3. Purity Nyanusi
    Posted January 27, 2009 at 2:01 am | Permalink

Can a university student volunteer and work with unicef during long vacation

4. Mpinda Mercy
    Posted May 11, 2009 at 4:11 am | Permalink

I am a clinical medicine student in my final year in college.I wish to volunteer in any unicef program and help in any way I can.What steps can I take to achieve this?thanks.

5. Jenner Pascua, U.S. Fund for UNICEF
    Posted May 12, 2009 at 11:14 am | Permalink

If you’re interested in volunteering for UNICEF USA you can email volunteer@unicefusa.org for more information.

6. Grace Nyatome
    Posted July 8, 2009 at 11:28 pm | Permalink

I Thank you from the bottom of my heart for the continued of care that you have given to the poor children of Africa and any other parts of third world countries. I will not shy to say that I have travelled the same path as a child. That is one reason why I want to give somethig from my heart to this marginalized specail population. At the momment, I am in the process of adopting two chidren (AIDS victims) who reside in an orphanage in Nairobi, Kenya. Soon as am ready with the paper work, I will put it in wriiting so that all those who care will see my good work. As a volunteer, I continue to advocate for the poor, and those of you who have been contributing to this wonderful program, I wish you the very best. Thanks. Grace – USA