Clay Aiken: Help kids in emergencies stay in school

notebooks.jpg
© UNICEF/05-0203/Pietrasik
SRI LANKA: Eight-year-old Shahid carries a batch of exercise books at Ak-Al Badr Nagar Vidyalaya School in the eastern district of Ampara. The books, which bear the UNICEF logo, are from a shipment of Schools-in-a Box.

Every child has a right to an education.

Often times in emergency situations, it becomes harder than ever for children to go to school. Natural disasters and conflict often destroy schools and supplies, leaving children without a place or the tools to learn.

UNICEF works hard to make sure that children receive an education no matter what the obstacle. For just $186 you can send children in need a School-in-a-Box kit, offering an opportunity to an education that otherwise wouldn’t exist. Just think”one kit provides a temporary school for up to 80 children at a time in an emergency!

ClayAiken-IG.jpg

As you count down the twelve days this holiday season, think of these children who have nothing but hope”don’t turn your back on a child’s right to education.

I am Clay Aiken and I believe in zero.

25,000 young children die every day from preventable causes”things like malnutrition, poor sanitation and lack of safe, drinkable water. UNICEF believes that number should be zero.

notebooks.jpg
© UNICEF/05-0203/Pietrasik

For the final 12 days of 2008, UNICEF celebrity Ambassadors and supporters are posting daily blog entries about the impact UNICEF Inspired Gifts are having on children around the world. Since becoming a UNICEF Ambassador, Clay Aiken has visited children struggling to survive amid emergencies in Afghanistan, Uganda, Somalia and Indonesia.

Every child has a right to an education.

ClayAiken-IG.jpg

I am Clay Aiken and I believe in zero.

1. Luluasst
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 2:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you Unicef for all you do for the children of the world. And thank you Clay Aiken for your commitment which is inspiring.

2. Denise
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

Clay…I hear your voice, loud and strong. The opportunity for education ensures these children a further opportunity to move forward, to be an advocate for change in their developing countries.

Thank you for continuing to share your experiences and your insights from your ambassador trips. There is so much more to learn, so much more work to be done. Count on my support now and in the future.

3. Sue
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:28 pm | Permalink

Thank you Clay and the rest of the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassadors for bringing the needs of children through out the world to our attention during the holiday season.

It’s so easy to get wrapped up in our own little worlds and sometimes we need people to bring the world realities to our attention.

Here’s hoping for true Peace on Earth and Goodwill Toward Men (women and children)

4. mamamariam
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:31 pm | Permalink

I am so happy that Clay Aiken can bring some attention to the plight of these children.

5. Mary
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:37 pm | Permalink

Wonderful blog by Clay and being a former teacher I realize, along with Clay, how important education is to children in crisis situations. I currently donate on a monthly basis, but will be sending a special donation.

6. Martha
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Thank you to UNICEF and Clay Aiken for making a difference in the lives of so many children. It is so wonderful that celebrities like Clay Aiken take their own time and money to help children throughout the world. At this very special time of the year, we all need to help in any way that we can.

7. mmberkeleyca
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 3:59 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Clay and UNICEF, for this important awareness campaign.

I believe that education is key to bringing stability to children facing emergencies, and is critically important, as are food, water, medicine, and shelter in building healthy, happy, complete lives.

In the spirit of this season of giving, I am using my blog to help spread awareness of the 12 Days of UNICEF campaign.

Warm wishes at Christmas, Hanukkah, Eid and for all people throughout our world.

My name is Michael, and I believe in zero.

8. Anne
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

You’ve been a wonderful Unicef ambassador and have been inspiring to me. I promise to give what I can. My own children have been so blessed and I want to help.

Merry Christmas Clay!’

9. Sandy
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

Education is the only way to improve the situation in violent countries. I will help children to know that there is hope. Thanks UNICEF and thanks Clay.

10. ALM
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 5:25 pm | Permalink

Clay Aiken continues to inspire. My School-in-a-Box kit will be gifted to the children who need it most — wherever. ALM

11. kim
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 6:12 pm | Permalink

Thank you Clay Aiken! We need more people like you to help the world. Let my voice join yours in helping with this struggle.

12. Terri
    Posted December 25, 2008 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Clay, I believe that number should be zero too. UNICEF can count on my year-end donation and I can only hope it helps..

13. Carolyn
    Posted December 26, 2008 at 6:57 am | Permalink

What a great reminder of the importance of education to children experiencing emergencies, not only to help them now, but also as an investment in their future. Thank you, Clay!

14. Flo
    Posted December 26, 2008 at 10:34 am | Permalink

Thank you for your blog Clay. Yes, I believe that every child deserves an education. I understand that in emergency situations it is very hard for children in these countries to go to school. I am happy to donate to this cause, and I, also, believe in zero.

15. sienna
    Posted December 26, 2008 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

EDUCATION, IMO is the very key instrument towards the betterment of each and everyone’s way of life. It is our responsibility as adults to educate our CHILDREN! It is a very competitive world out there. It is SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST! Our children need to be aware of the need for EDUCATION. I will continue to support this cause as long as UNICEF and its Good Ambassadors continue to. Special mention to Clay Aiken, who in my opinion is one of the best role models there is! GOOD LUCK!

16. Anonymous
    Posted December 29, 2008 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your blog Clay. I believe that every child does indeed deserve an education and I also believe in zero.

I do understand that in situations like emergencies it can be very difficult for these kids to go to school.

Clay, you are such a wonderful ambassador for UNICEF. I will join you to voice the needs of the world’s children. Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy and blessed New Year to you and your family.

17. Trudy Barbisan
    Posted December 30, 2008 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Clay, for reminding us how little it takes to help the children of the world. The cost of a School in a Box Kit is such a little thing when you consider that 80 children will benefit from continuing education in emergency situations.

In an article in The Oregonian Dec 28, the co-author of the wonderful book “Three Cups of Tea”, David Oliver Relin (from Portland OR), says “the root causes of terrorism are poverty and ignorance…The cheapest and most effective way to fight extremism is not by military means alone, but by improving people’s lives, by building schools, roads, medical facilities, clean water supplies and seeding the ground with economic opportunity.” He is writing specifically about Afghanistan and Pakistan, but that would apply anywhere, and certainly echos UNICEF’s work.

My best wishes for a rewarding New Year, Clay, and thank you for caring for the children of the world. They need your voice and your heart!
    Trudy B