UPDATE: Haiti quake

UNICEF’s offices in Port-au-Prince were damaged yesterday, but staff are ready to deliver disaster relief to the children and families affected by yesterday’s earthquake in Haiti.

With so many people living at such close quarters”and with access to clean water and sanitary conditions severely compromised even in the best of times”vulnerability to the spread of life-threatening waterborne diseases can skyrocket when a natural disaster strikes, as can difficulties in delivering much needed food, medical supplies and protection services.

Children”the most vulnerable population in any disaster”as is too often the case, are most likely to suffer the consequences.

You can help by spreading the word about UNICEF’s disaster relief efforts and/or by making an online donation at www.unicefusa.org/haitiquake.

Thank you for your support and concern. We’ll keep you posted here.

1. M.
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 10:56 am | Permalink

Just donated. Thank you for helping the children of Haiti. I hope all of your UNICEF staff in Haiti are safe.

2. jeff christensen
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:13 pm | Permalink

would like to help am currently an electrician at universal orlando in orlando florida if you need such help please let me know have been a electrician at for mentioned place for over 10 years

3. Mireille leroy
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I am ready to join a support group going down to help an any capacity, that I can in bringing some relief to my fellow haitian brothers and sisters.

4. leonard
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I am not sure of what you were asking but i was wanting to know if besides financial donations, can an individual donate his time to work with UNICEFUSA? I am a pre-pharmacy student based in the united states and i very much want to assist in relief programms like the ungoing catastrophy in Haiti. I speak french and english and i know Haiti is domminantly french so i thought i might be usefull in the department of communications.
    My voluntary services is not limited to this situation but to any other relief situations UNICEFUSA extends her benevolent hands to reach out to the victims.
    I can be reached at 405 887 3582 or via email luckyleo22001@yahoo.com.
    Thanks.

5. Gregory Garcia
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

I have sent a donation, but would like to offer time, hands, feet whatever is needed to help, either here in Washington or in Haiti. I speak Spanish, English and French fluently. I’m also young and full of energy and more than willing to help in any way shape or form. Please contact me to know how I can be of service.
    Thank you.

6. octavio martin goren
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

Hi I’m from Miami born in Argentina, I heard what happen to Haiti yesterday, I would love to go there and take can food and money personally to the poor, but the problem is that I don’t know ways to get there and how. I really believe I should be there helping the children and families, my friends and I are wealthy enough to provide many can foods and money to be taken there.

7. DARREN JOHNSON
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

WILLING TO PUT FEET ON GROUND IF ADDITIONAL HELP NEEDED WHATEVER HELP YOU NEEDED LET ME KNOW 20 YEARS IN TRANSPORTATION

8. Aletha
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 1:39 pm | Permalink

How can I contribute my time and energy to help the people of Haiti? Is there an organization that needs volunteers to go to Haiti to help??

9. Bob
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

Hi, I am from Uganda and have been following the disaster for the last six hours only, however it is evident from the SITANs I have read that the people (esp. children)of Haiti need whatever help they can get. It would be nice to know how donations can be sent from those who do no yet use credit cards. I have realized that this has been a major hiccup especially for those from developing nations who would like to help, however little. A dollar could provide a meal. A prayer could bring hope. A good word could bring in more help.

10. Sabina Michel
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 2:04 pm | Permalink

I am strong and able and willing to help. I am a Haitian American that speacks Creole and French fluently. Please if you know any organizations mobilizing volunteers to go to Haiti in the DC Virginia area please let me know. I also have other supplies that I can donate.

11. Kettia Pierre
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 2:43 pm | Permalink

My name is Kettia Pierre I’m a born haitian, I feel devastating about this tragedy,95% of my family member live in port-au-prince and I haven’t heard nothing yet. I want to help, I want to get people together to start a Donation Drive, I live in South Florida. Fort lauderdale-Miami, but I would like to get people ideas and questions on how they want to contribute their time and effort. my email Kettiap1221@yahoo.com

12. Joanne Petit-Homme
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 2:58 pm | Permalink

I am a Haitian American RN and would love to volunteer my time and skills. I also speak French Creole fluently.

13. Scott
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

Hello,

I am not in a position to make a monetary donation at this time, however I am willing to donate myself to help. Feel free to contact me if there any volunteer needs in Haiti through UNICEF at this time.

14. Katie
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Can you please direct me towards information re. volunteer opportunities in Haiti. I would love to know how I can volunteer my time to help out the situation in Haiti. Any information would be much appreciated. Thank you!

15. vladimir antoine
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:14 pm | Permalink

Hello, I am from Haiti originally but now living in NY. i ‘m young and full of energy, how can i help.

16. jaimee andaya
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

My prayers go out to the people in Haiti. May you find hope and comfort in the Lord.

17. Richardson Donnat
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

My name is Richardson and I was born in Haiti. I now live in the U.S. arizona, and I feel guilty and helpless because I also want to go and help out my people, but because of a lack of resources I am enable to do so if anyone knows any organization that is sending volunteers to haiti please let me know. my email is rdonnat@gmail.com.

“men anpil chay pa lou”

18. VICKY SHARP
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:19 pm | Permalink

HI MY NAME IS VICKY SHARP I’AM DOMINICAN AND I’M COLOECTIN FOOD AND CLOTHIN BUT I DON’T KNOW WHERE SEND IT TO BUT I WANT TO HELP SO PLEASE HELP ME I LIVE IN DAYTON TN MY PH 423-802-9775 I’M SUER THA I’M CAN COLET A LOT OF FOOD MEDICINE AND MORE.

HOLA MI NOMBRE ES VICKY SHARP VIVO EN DAYTON TN Y ESTOY RECOLECTANDO ROPA, COMIDA, ZAPATOS, MEDICINAS EN FIN TODO LO QUE PUEDA PERO NO SE DONDE ENVIARLO HISE LO MISMO ANTES Y NO SE SI LLEGO A SU DESTINO ESTA VES QUIERO ESTAR SEGURA DE QUE VA A LLEGAR DONDE TIENE QUE LLEGAR SOLO NECESITO AYUDA PARA PODER ALLUDAR
    MI # DE TELEFONO ES 423-802-9775

19. Danny Butterfield
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:20 pm | Permalink

I too would like to help! I’m an out of work and money contractor that would like to help with my knowledge, heart, and back! Pleae let me know how to get there and help those far worse off than my family!!

Danny Butterfield

20. Yadira Burgos
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Hi, i’m in Chicago and i would like to send some cans and clothing and soap, where can i send it too, that i know it’ll go straight over there. please somebody let me know… thanks.

21. Andree Sajous
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm | Permalink

Hello,

My name is Andree and I am currently collecting food, cloths, water, and other needed items to be packed and shipped to Haiti. I have been trying to volunteer everywhere because I believe that it is better to go to Haiti as a team then single handed. I am Haitian so I know the people and my way around well but I have not been able to get through any one accepting volunteers due to the closing of the airport. I have started to collect friends and others to create our own group to go to Haiti and help ourselves as soon as the airports open. For now it looks like if we go, we would have to stay in hotels outside the city. If anyone is interested, please email me at bbmyers2004@yahoo.com. thank you

22. Jacob Turlinski
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

I live in Hollywood, Florida.
    I amn many able others need to be down in Haiti right now setting up housing, toilets, hospitals, preparing food logistics. Let the resuce continue but do not neglect the the needs of human beings. Anyone who can get me down there, please call: 917-941-5664

23. Jean R Fleurine
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

My name is Jean Fleurine, Born and raise in haiti. I live in philadelphia,PA right now. I speak french, creole, and english. I am available to accompany anyone willing to go down there to help. Please, i would like to help anyway possible. I don’t have any money, but time i do have. Feel free to contact me @ 267-335-2439, 215-254-8342 or via email, jeancarolle@yahoo.com.

24. Anonymous
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

I HAVE JUST DONATED SOME MONEY TO HELP THE PEOPLE OF HAITI. BUT, I WOULD LOVE TO HELP PHYSICALLY WITH THE SITUATION ON THE GROUND..FOR YOUR INFO, I’M A PUBLIC HEALTH PROFFESIONAL. MY EMAIL IS ATTACHED TO THIS MESSAGE. THANKS

25. Jean Pillard
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Gregory,
    thank you for you thoughts. I may actually take you up on the offer to lend a helping hand to Haiti. I have setup a fund raiser site through UNICEF to assist the children affected by this tragedy and am in the process of coordinating with the people that are on the ground in Haiti to see how we can use the tremendous offers to help efficiently.

To access the fundraising site, you can go to http://www.unicefusa.org/ert

Click on: Join a Team
    Team Name: Earthquake Relief Assistance for Haiti
    Password: haiti2010

All donations are tax deductible and 100% of your assistance will be used by the UNICEF Emergency Response team to help the needy children of Haiti.

Any assistance spreading the word around is greatly appreciated.

Jean

26. Cagkan Özdemir
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

Hi I am from Europe/austria and I have sent a donation,but i know thats not enough to help them , i’m a student (archtecture) 25of age m, so how i can help them to join your sverice or dont know anything , I REALLY WANT TO HELP , because i know how they re feeling i lost part of my family by an earthquake in turkey /gölcük !

27. Marike Hidreth
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

I have been a previous UNICEF volunteer for 12 years and visited Vietnam and Thailand. I am fully inoculated and know the Unicef mandates. I am also trained in cpr and first aid by the red cross. I will be travelling to Haiti and hope to contact UNICEF and that you will put me to work. I am a teacher and can set up schools etc. I am familiar with the culture…my one daughter is adopted from St Vincent… but I do Know a little french. My email is hildrethmarike@hotmail.com phone is 949-388-0705. Please advice me who to contact.
    Sincerely
    Marike Hildreth

28. Fiorella
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 6:11 pm | Permalink

i’m from Peru and I would like to help doing volunteer service. I am young and also full of energy. I speak spanish and english too.

29. Kristofer Roberts
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

I’m in the middle of my winter break for school and could think of no better way than to spend it helping out in Haiti. I speak some spanish and I also have first responder/first aid and CPR certs. Reguardless I’m young fit and I want to help in any way I can.

30. Claudia Sanchez
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 6:53 pm | Permalink

Hi I’m an american citizen, living in Colombia, I am very concerned with yhe situation in Haiti, but I’ve not been able to find any information on volunteer work… Please let me know were I can help, I’m willing to do any type of work; I just want to help. I’m an industrial designer and industrial engineer student, so if there is anything let me know!

31. Rodney Sanders
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm | Permalink

I am willing to volunteer my services to the efforts of the Haiti releif. I am willing to go to said country to provide help in anyway I can.

32. Luckens Damus
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’m from Haiti i speak English, Franch and Creole i would love to help in Haiti. My donations are not enough i want to do more

33. Sophia Phanord
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

My name is Sophia Phanord, I am a haitian student here in the United States I want to go back help my country and my people but I need to do it with hands of people who are going in the right direction. I speak English, French, creole, and spanish. I am staying in Memphis, Tn. phone number 901-315-3097. I am young and energetic, all I need is guidance to get to my haitian people. If my help can be needed please contact me.

34. Katie Rodgers
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 7:18 pm | Permalink

Hi, I am in NYC close to the UN, I speak English French and Creole an American who lived in Haiti all my childhood. Please let me know how I can help. Have organizational skills,team participant, patient and helpful.
    Regards,
    Katie

35. Soledad Hypp
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

please, i want to physically help. please contact me

36. Camille Young
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Hi, im from NJ and a senior in high school..i really want to help the people of haiti…i wanted to know if anybody had any ideas for me..i want to raise money at school for haiti n the proceeds can go to UNICEF for haiti…if anyone has any ideas..i would really appreciate it if you emailed me at proctorcamille@yahoo.com…also i wanted to kno if a clothes and toiletry drive was a good idea for helping the people of haiti..please if anyone has any ideas,, feel free to email me…i really want to help and with ur help i kno it can be done..thank u

37. bergomi bony
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:10 pm | Permalink

i leave in brooklyn am haitian .i am in college .i speak creole . i would like to go to haiti to help my brother and sister try to help them .i would like to do something for my country please help me .i want a chance

38. V. Patterson
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:34 pm | Permalink

I’m an elementary school teacher in a poor immigrant community in Brooklyn, NY. My 2nd grade students would like to help the people of Haiti in some way. Any suggestions? We were hoping to get the whole school involved.

39. Larry King
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:38 pm | Permalink

What percent of my Unicef donation goes to the Haiti cause, compared to overhead costs?

40. Kirsten Miarka
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

I too would like to go to Haiti and personally help out. I can provide my own transportation there. I feel I would be the biggest asset helping with my own hands. Please contact me if this is possible.

41. evense zetrenne
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:43 pm | Permalink

i have seen the devastation and want to help im haitian and speak good creole i have family that we still didnt get in contact with yet if i can do anything please please contact me

42. Patrick Wells
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Hello,
    My name is Patrick Wells. I was wondering if you had any programs or information about volunteering in Haiti to help with the the devastation caused by the earthquake there. Building houses, handing out food, pretty much anything. Thanks, and I appreciate your time.

Patrick Wells

43. Carl Larson
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 9:00 pm | Permalink

I am willing to donate time and money, but everywhere I look organizations only want my money. Where can I go to offer my physical help? I’m seeing on the news that people are trapped under buildings and starving, and you don’t need a medical degree to lift bricks off of injured people. What can I do to help other than donate money?

44. Jean Mario
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 9:50 pm | Permalink

I would like to volunteer for haiti
    I speak Creole English and french

45. Peter
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

I am trying to find someway in which i can go to Haiti to help. I run businesses in the USA and i am very confident that i could help with restoring the infrastructure and general construction needs. I am available for the next 3 weeks and would love to help. I have gone to the Red Cross site and they do not want volunteers to go to Haiti, so i am trying to see what organization that i could be the most help to and offer my services.

46. Juliet Neal-Boyd
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:07 pm | Permalink

Hi there,
    I used to be an international aid worker for IFAW, The International Fund for Animal Welfare, so I am well versed in preparing last minute for launches to assist in disaster relief. My brother is a wholesaler for generators, and because he has no overhead, he can usually beat out anyone’s prices, and can Fedex generators overnight. He carries all companies, and has portable ones perfect for moving on the road to power laptops and other devices.

I am sending this because I have been in the field and have needed access to a generator. I know budgets are tight these days, so I thought I would mention him as he can save you money and time.

His contact number is:

Ben Boyd
    Powercomplete
    800-541-0616
    ben@powercomplete.com

Best of luck and all the best in your assistance with this horrendous disaster. Thanks for your support of Haiti.

Juliet

47. Edwin L
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

@Gregory Garcia – also consider the group http://www.hodr.org . they provide housing and food for volunteers. you just need to get there. i worked with them in Indonesia two months ago, helping with salvaging materials and moving rubble so families can rebuild after the earthquake. they were in haiti last year so they have experience with the country.

48. Paul McDonald
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:18 pm | Permalink

I am fluent in Haitian Creole if you need interpreters.

49. Paula Egan-Wright
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

I was a Peace Corps volunteer in Haiti from 1985-1987. I speak fluent Creole and French ( I am a linguist and a French teacher). I can be very useful, and I believe that what these victims need, beside food, water, and medical care, is to be hear and talked to. Please allow me to be part of your mission.

50. gina glirolle
    Posted January 13, 2010 at 11:58 pm | Permalink

hello my name gina im leaving in G.a and i often do missionary work in haiti because im born there. became us citizen.long a go i would love to get you guys arround ,if i can get my way there. because im not currently working to help with supplies, and im stress over that .im avail for volunteer as long i can get a plane ticket, im fluente creole spoken and english any one want to team up with me send me a email now, then we get the work done. my email is glirolleg@yahoo.com god bless you all .

51. Chris Parks
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 12:13 am | Permalink

I don’t have money, i can’t speak many languages, but I would like to do whatever I can to help these people. We are all one. So we must help eachother. Please let me know what I can do.

52. Bri Parker
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 12:15 am | Permalink

Most relief agencies consider new volunteers to be a burden, but I am young and a very quick learner and would be a very capable addition to the relief. If there is any possible way I can be sent to help in Haiti, please contact me.

53. Jeniffer Alburquerque
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 12:20 am | Permalink

I want to help in any way possible. I live in San Diego, California. I would like to know if there any way that I can help besides donating money. Do you know of any organization that is accepting stock. I am able to collect as much food, water, blankets anything necessary, but I don’t know where would I take it to. Please let me know if you have any information. I really want to help. Thank you.

54. Angela Holter
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 7:27 am | Permalink

My family and I just made a donation. We believe in UNICEF knowledge and power to really deliver the appropriate help to those kids in Haiti that have lost their parents and caretakers and are alone, hungry, injured and scared.
    UNICEF please, please help them in your name and ours.

55. Dominique Eareckson
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 9:12 am | Permalink

I am a high school teacher in Virginia and am fluent in French and physically fit. I would like to offer my assistance to help in any way possible during two weeks in March. Would this be a possibility?

56. Erin Anglin
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 10:09 am | Permalink

I would love to help those in need that have been broken in Haiti. I would also like to get involved personally, I just don’t know how.

57. jiji
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 10:37 am | Permalink

tous mes priéres seronts avec le peuple de HAITI . LE BON DIEU SOIT AVEC VOUS ……..

58. HMC/ICA
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 11:36 am | Permalink

HI MY NAME IS RENATO LEFORT AND I LIVE IN FORT LAUDERDALE FLORIDA ,I AM A HAITIAN-AMERICAN CITIZEN .I HAVE I GROUP OF 15 FRIENDS AND WE ARE THE HMC-BOYZ (HIGHEST MOVEMENT CORPORATE ),WE HAVE SEEN THE DEVASTATION THAT JUST HAPPENED IN OUR BIRTH COUNTRY AND WE WOULD LIKE TO HELP IN ANYWAYS POSSIBLE WE ALREADY STARTED A FUN RAISING AND A FOOD,CLOTHES DRIVE. WE MEMBERS OF THE ICA (INTERNATIONAL CHURCH ASSOCIATION) WHO HAVE MORE THAN 5 CHURCHES STATEWIDE AND 2 CHURCHES IN HAITI THAT HAVE BEEN DESTROYED AS WELL. WE HAVE PARTNERED WITH LOCAL RADIO STATIONS SUCH AS AND 97.7 TENDRESSE FM (DJ KELLY-MIX)TO PROMOTE THE DRIVE.WE WOULD GREATLY APPRECIATE YOUR REGARD TOWARD HELPING US HELPING OUR COUNTRY . PLEASE RESPONSE .AT 954-773-1563 954-873-7962 THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

DROP OFF LOCATION ; 3540 NW 18TH PL FORT LAUDERDALE,FL.33311

59. Lee Long
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Hey i am really touched by the great work UNICEF does for people who are really suffering. I would like to offer my hands and feet in Haiti. I will do anything from unloading trucks full of water and food, and distrubuting them out, to grabbing a shovel and help remove the rumble.
    my email is tigerboy_dh_ct@yahoo.com. i will give u my cell number when emailed.

60. Linette Joshi
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 3:11 pm | Permalink

I’ve been watching the horrible accounts in Haiti and feel totally helpless. Is there any way I can come there to assist?

61. Rodrigo Gonzalez (Peru)
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I’d like to volunteer for Haiti. What steps must i take to help?

62. Patricia Ann Works
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

My heart and prayers go out to the people of Haiti in their time of distress. Keep the Faith the world knows about your plague and are reaching out with great haste to help.
    Love to my neighbors!

63. Joni
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

My company and I have decided to reach out to our 2000+ NY employees and ask for assistance. We will ask them to go online and make monetary donations, we are also collecting money, food and medical supplies. I understand that they are not current asking for civilian volunteers to travel to Haiti, but if that should change please let me know, as I have many here that would be glad to go. Do you know of any locations in Manhattan, NY were we can drop off our collected supplies. I hope to hear from you soon.

64. Kate
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

I have very little money but I have my body and my energy, and my love for the people of Haiti. I want to help the children. I am a massage therapist so I have some background in anatomy and pathology, and a lot of experience in hospice care and research. Please let me be part of a medical team, or any other team that could use my support either in Haiti or here. I’ll do anything!

65. elizabeth dingman
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 8:25 pm | Permalink

I don’t know if this would be a need but I know living in Hurricaine area that with Katrina many people were moved to families who could give them shelter. Coming from a family who adopted 4 children oversee’s I being one of them, if there becomes a need for providing a roof and shelter to children needing it, I would be more than willing to do so. I am not wealthy but have a big home and would be willing to do what I could if that becomes an option. Elizabeth L Dingman
    elizabethdingman@hotmail.com

66. Johanne Augustin
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 11:17 pm | Permalink

I’m a haitian american nurse assistant and im fluent in kreyol. I would love to go to haiti to help in any way possible. Thank You

67. Gary Hill
    Posted January 14, 2010 at 11:25 pm | Permalink

My name is Gary Hill and form Port Orchard Wa. and am retired from PSNS. I am familiar with fresh water systems on air craft carriers and submarines. I am also a Rigger and very familiar with rigging of equipment using all range of equipment used in the rigging field. I am also retired from the US Navy and the National Guard, If you can use any of my skills at any time PLEASE contact me. I am physically and mentally able . Thank you Gary Hill

68. sara saunders
    Posted January 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm | Permalink

hi my name is sara i have been watching the news and they have been reporting on an orphanege in haiti called house of the children of god. they still have no baby formula this is of great concern to me i am more than willing to go there and bring supplies to these children please let me know if you need volunteers to go i desperatley want to bring formula and food to these children. thank you sara

69. jimmy moise
    Posted February 11, 2010 at 5:23 pm | Permalink

Mrs Kristi Burnham, community relations
    We are planning an event in May and will ike to contribute to half the proceeds of the money for the children orphan in Haiti Can UNICEF please take contact with us as early as convenient to make proper coordinations for the donation.Thank you
    Jimmy Moise