Selena Gomez: UNICEF Tap Project 2012

Updated February 25, 2014: This year, the Tap Project challenges you to put down down your phone to save a child’s life. How long can you go?

TAKE THE CHALLENGE

I don’t stop to think about clean water all that often. Like many people, it’s something I usually take for granted. I can turn on the faucet or shower at home, and out it comes.

Sadly, this is not the case for millions of people around the world. In my travels with UNICEF I have seen the devastating impact that lack of safe water can have on children. In fact, thousands of them die every day simply because they can’t access this precious resource. Others do not have the chance to go to school because they spend hours walking each day to gather water for their families.

Photo: © Jane Hahn/2009 | Selena Gomez during a visit to Ghana with UNICEF in 2009

The UNICEF Tap Project is a great opportunity for all of us to help change this reality. Funds raised this year will bring clean, safe drinking water to children in Vietnam, Togo, Mauritania, and Cameroon—countries where it’s desperately needed. And, just a little goes a very long way. One dollar—less than the price of a cup of coffee—can provide a child with clean drinking water for 40 days.

There are lots of ways to get involved. During World Water Week, March 19-25, you can donate $1 or more for the tap water you would usually drink for free at restaurants all across the United States. Visit www.uniceftapproject.org to locate participating restaurants near you and find out other ways to support the UNICEF Tap Project.

1. Posted March 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm | Permalink

My 5 year old daughter is a huge fan of yours and I was excited to share your blog post with her. She wants me to tell you that she loves your songs and I want to say thank you for the work your are doing for UNICEF. You are setting a great example to your fans all over the world.

2. Posted March 23, 2012 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Yeh Selena is trying to save our world.

3. Posted May 3, 2012 at 10:29 pm | Permalink

I am working on a project and i am reaserching uniceff.when i found out about this i was so happy and thanking selena so much for saving these children.

4. Posted May 19, 2012 at 6:50 am | Permalink

amaaaazing human being! love you selena! xox

5. Posted May 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

Hi Selena. I am a member of you fan club at The Scene. The reason I am your fan is mostly because of all the wonderful things you do for children all over the world. Your work as a Goodwill Ambassador at UNICEF, the Make a Wish foundation, Island Dogs, Kids for Change, etc. inspires me to be a better person. Thank you for all that you do. Oh yea, I love you music and miss Wizards a lot too :)

6. Posted July 3, 2012 at 5:25 am | Permalink

Selena, I am your no.1 fan! and you are my insipiration and I love what you are doing for children all around the world and it makes me a better person. THANKS SELENA!