UNICEF USA Must Reads
A weekly news roundup highlighting the best of the FieldNotes blog and online coverage of UNICEF issues.
Best of the FieldNotes and UNICEF Blogs
Infographic: Vaccines Work
- We mark World Immunization Week with these eight simple graphics.
“All I have now is my daughter.”
- After his sons are forced into the fighting, a South Sudanese man makes an arduous journey with his three-year-old daughter to get help from UNICEF.
Giving a voice to the poor
- A UNICEF expert argues that the poor should have more say in the programs meant to help them.
UNICEF Issues in the News
- Bill Gates tweets his support for UNICEF’s work on immunization, in Business Insider.
Bearing the burden of war
- The Guardian reports that 95% of the South Sudanese refugees in Ethiopia are women and children in search of food, water and shelter.
Photos: Crossing the border
- An intimate look at the dangers Syrian families face to reach safety in Lebanon, from Al Jazeera.
“I know how hard it is for those kids on the street.”
- The Thunder’s Serge Ibaka is honored by the NBA and Kia for his work with UNICEF, from the Oklahoman.
A tale of two diseases
- A provocative comparison of China’s efforts fighting tuberculosis and malaria, from the Council on Foreign Relations blog.
And one more…
Video: Dance, dance revolution
- The technology that got one woman back on the dance floor could help amputees everywhere, in the Christian Science Monitor.